4 Ways to Change Your Hair Without Committing
4 Noncommittal Hairstyles to Try When You Need a Change
Have you ever felt the urge to change up your hairstyle in a drastic way? Maybe it was at the end of a relationship, the start of a new job, the change of a season, or just a random Tuesday. If you embrace the urge, you might find yourself with a new hair color, a much shorter length, or a set of bangs.
Sometimes it works out for the best, and we love our new look. Sometimes, we experience regret—whether it’s immediately or a few weeks later. We want to help you avoid hairstyle regret by giving you inspiration for some temporary hair changes. Try out one of these ideas for a day or week before committing to a real change.
1. Test out a temporary hair color for a week or two.
Changing your hair color can be a huge decision. Maybe you’re interested in trying out the rainbow color trends that we’ve seen explode in the past year or so. Or maybe you’re interested in taking a plunge and going much darker than your current hair color.
Before you do anything permanent, test out the color you’re interested in for a week or two with temporary hair color. You can find all kinds of colors (natural or vibrant) in creams, sprays, or chalks that will wash out after a certain amount of shampoos.
Note: If your hair has been lightened before, it will hold the color for longer than virgin (never-colored) hair.
2. Give yourself a faux bob for a night out.
Before you chop off your long strands into a bob, try out a faux bob for a night or day to give yourself a feel for the look. To do so, follow these steps:
- Secure the top half of your hair on the top of your head with a clip.
- Working with the bottom half of your hair, take two-inch sections and fold them up to your scalp. Fasten the ends of the hair tightly with two bobby pins.
- Unclip the top of your hair and let it fall over the tucked-in pieces. If your hair is not layered or as short as you’d like, you may want to roll the ends under the bottom half of your hair and pin those as well.
- Finish with hairspray.
3. See what you’d look like with bangs with this simple trick.
Want to see what you’d look like with bangs without touching a pair of shears? Here’s how:
- Fasten your hair in a high ponytail.
- Pull out a chunk of hair from the front of the ponytail and pull it forward, over your forehead.
- Pin it down (near the hair tie) with bobby pins. You should have a little bun sticking up.
- Take the remaining hair in the ponytail and split it in half.
- Twist these pieces around the bun and pin in place with bobby pins.
- Use a flat iron to curl the bangs and make them look more natural. Comb through with your fingers afterward.
4. Transform your hair using clip-in hair extensions.
Clip-in hair extensions are the perfect way to change up your look without damaging your hair or committing to any new hairstyle. They’re easy to apply and remove, letting you switch up your look as often as you’d like. Depending on the type you get, clip-in hair extensions can let you add color, volume, length. fringe/bangs, or face-framing layers to your hair for a brand-new look.