The Dos and Don’ts of Tape-In Hair Extensions
How to Best Maintain Your Tape-In Hair Extensions
Maybe you’re getting hair extensions for the first time. Maybe you’ve had them in the past, and they haven’t lasted as long as they were supposed to. We want to ensure that never happens to you again. Here are some of the most important dos and don’ts to follow when caring for your tape-in hair extensions.
Dos of Tape-In Hair Extensions
1. Do brush your hair extensions before shampooing them.
This will help eliminate any tangles, which can be made worse with the stress of shampooing.
2. Do hold the top of the hair extensions with one hand when brushing.
This will stabilize the hair and prevent putting unnecessary stress on it.
3. Do use the shampoo and conditioner your stylist recommends.
The type of hair products you use really does matter when it comes to keeping your hair intact.
4. Do brush your hair from scalp to ends at least twice a day.
This helps prevent tangles and will evenly distribute your hair’s natural oils for extra shine and improved texture.
5. Do use a heat-protectant spray before styling your hair.
This applies to blow drying, straightening, or curling your hair. The spray can help reduce damage to your extensions and your natural hair.
6. Do splurge on high-quality extensions.
You want your hair extensions to last and look great—and you also want to make sure they don’t damage your natural hair. Well-made hair extensions applied by a professional are the way to ensure all of the above.
Don’ts of Tape-In Hair Extensions
1. Don’t color your hair extensions on your own.
They can be colored, but this should be done by a professional to avoid damaging not only the extensions, but your natural hair as well.
2. Don’t try hair extensions for the first time right before a special occasion.
While it’s unlikely, you could be allergic to the adhesive. The last thing you want to be doing on a special day is to be scratching at your scalp!
3. Don’t wash your hair every day.
Washing your hair every day can strip your hair of the natural oils that give it its shine and texture. Washing every day with hair extensions can wear down the adhesive quicker, which can shorten their lifespan. Learn to love dry shampoo!
4. Don’t wash your hair or sweat excessively for at least 24-48 hours after getting tape-in hair extensions.
For best results, wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo the day of your appointment. And avoid washing your hair or working out for a couple of days.
5. Don’t apply conditioner to your scalp.
You should be applying conditioner starting below the hair extensions, concentrating on the ends of your hair.
Get certified with our tape-in hair extensions!
Are you a hair stylist looking to add a new service at your salon? Learn more about our certification courses and professional hair extensions below. Create an account with us to get started!
[gdlr_button href=”http://easihairpro.com/certification-courses-for-hair-extensions/” size=”medium”]VIEW OUR COURSES[/gdlr_button]